Monday, April 5, 2010

Calling all Mothers!!!


Okay... so I'm doin it. I'm just diving into it and I don't know what to expect. This week, I'm going to start potty training Jack!! I'm nervous and expecting the worst. It's just come to a point where I KNOW he will NEVER do it himself. He just WILL NOT go (pardon me) poop on the potty. No matter what I do, say, bribe him with, he just won't do it. It's been nearly impossible for me to try before now because I've had a baby to take care and then once she started getting easier, I started babysitting my nephew Tyler who is a 1 1/2. He is a great kid, but if I'm down the hall with Jack trying to help him, he wants to be right there with us. Kate is crawling (fast might I add) and so she's in there with us too. Anyway, with this chaos I just haven't had the time to devote to him, to be on it 24 hours a day (minus sleeping time of course). At the end of the week Tyler will be going out of town for 6 days and so I'm using this time to do it. If I don't, it wont' be till the summer when I can throw him outside all day with no pants (which is plan #2). SO... all you mothers out there who have potty trained!!! Any advice will be WONDERFUL! My plan right now is to just put underwear on him and go from there. I KNOW there will be messes (I'm a bit nervous about this) but I just don't know what else to do. PLEASE anything will help!!

Wish me luck!!

10 comments:

Cristi said...

It's fun to catch up on your blog - I haven't visited in awhile!

Kira Dee said...

Its hard to know what to do. Each kid is different. Just try to stay calm no matter what happens. I always went off of what my Mom told me, "as long as they are potty trained before kindergarten" you're golden :) Good luck, use your instinct and go by the spirit (sounds weird, but it really helps with potty training) and you'll do awesome! :)

Nate and Felicia said...

Haha I totally agree with Kira in going by the spirit, it is so true! A few things I did with Dusty was, setting a timer, I did it on my phone and set it to a fun song, and everytime it went off, I would get him really excited, saying " Its potty time" He really liked that. Also I always tried to give him something to read or distract him from thinking about going poop. You could also try telling him he doesn't have anymore diapers and the character on his underwear doesn't want to get pooed on haha. Just a few ideas if you haven't already tried them! Good luck!

Jennifer said...

We tried the Potty Training in 3 days program. It was chaos. And in the end she knew what to do, stayed dry for 3 days and then decided to make it difficult. We struggled with accidents for 4 months before she was accident free, but I would do the 3 day program again if I wanted to potty train my child before they decided to do it on their own. Good luck.

The Esslinger Family said...

I also did the 3 day training with my first and it was awesome!! It was sooo painful those 3 days, but Dax finally got it at the end of day 3 and never looked back! Both day and night!! TODAY I started with my other son. Like I said PAINFUL!! But hopefully he will get it by the end of Wednesday! With baby #3 coming in August I had to get it done! Good Luck!!

The Hatch Family said...

I wish I had great advise for you but don't. My first two were super easy because they were ready and wanted to do it on their own and when I put them in underwear just like you are going to do, after a couple of days they just got it. My 3rd on the other hand was so frustrating. They say to let them do it when they are ready and then it will be much less frustrating but I got to the point with her if I tried, i was frustrated but if I didn't try I was so frustrated because she told me every time she was going and demanded when I change her diaper, she was so physically ready but just had no desire and that was frustrating. All I can say is good luck!

Jen said...

Let's get through this painful process before you come visit. ;)

Esther Noelle said...

Oh Cindy good luck! Robby was pretty ready I'd say so I'm not sure - we kind of just went cold turkey which sounds like you're planning on doing... I've heard that Potty training in a day book worked for people, I think that's what it's called... Come on Jack you can do it!!!

Megan said...

Cindy,

We had the poopy Fairy. I know it sounds funny but it really worked. I went to the dollar store and bought all these little prizes/gifts (matchbox cars, army men, crayons, balloons, little bags of m&m's) and wrapped them all up and put them in a basket with a big bow on it and put it on the top of the toilet with a note that said every time you go potty you get a present and once you are potty trained you get a big prize. I did the timer thing for every 20 minutes for a few days and when we got the #1 down he would only get a prize after #2. After a week or so he seemed to get it and then after a week or 2 I can't remember now he got a huge present (some truck or something) on the back of the potty once he was done. I know it sounds funny but my kids will do anything if a fairy brings them a prize (we've had the binky fairy, the sleepy fairy, etc). Good Luck!

Kellie said...

Although I'm kidless I've heard a lot of stories. Puttin Cheerios in the toilet to have something to aim. Sticker charts, M&M rewards, and cutting liquids out a few hours before will help the night time. Diper on still. Changing sheets in the the middle of the night is the pits I'm sure.
I'll keep them crossed for ya! :)