Where to begin... When I went in for my 34 week appointment, my midwife told me that Rachel was breech. She finally flipped at 38 weeks which was a huge relief. When my midwife was feeling Rachel's position she briefly mentioned that she could be face up because of where I was feeling the kicks and other movements. I didn't think about it again.
A little history with the births of my other children. When Jack was born we got to the hospital around 5:30pm, the contractions were hard and I wanted an epidural. I got the epidural around 7pm and he was born at 7:30pm (2 hours after getting to the hospital) only pushing for 10 minutes or so. I wondered if I could have done it on my own.
When Kate was born we got to the hospital around 4:30am dilated to a 6, I wanted the epidural and by the time they gave it to me I had dilated to a 10!! I was a little frustrated because I felt like I had come that far... I could have done the rest. She was born at 6:30am (2 hours after arriving to the hospital) after only pushing for a few minutes.
This time... I decided that since both Jack and Kate were born within 2 hours of getting to the hospital, and because the epidural usually didn't kick in until right before they were born, I didn't want to have the anticipation of the relief from the epidural. I just wanted to accept that I was doing this on my own and that I needed to just work through the pain. So no epidural. Around 2:30 I was dilated to a 9 and 100% effaced. My midwife said if I wanted I could start pushing. So that's what I did. I pushed and pushed and pushed. I pushed for nearly an hour. I was beginning to wonder if she was ever going to come out. I kept waiting for my midwife to say... just one more good push and she'll be out... but she wouldn't. I wanted to yell at her and tell her to just grab her and pull her out... but I didn't. I felt like she was stuck!! I did not anticipate pushing for an hour because of my experience with my other kids. Anyway, when her head finally emerged I hear the Midwife and nurse say... "oh...that's why...". Rachel came out sunny side up which usually means it's a little harder to push them out! I thought back to my appointment and what the Dr. had said and wished someone would have prepared me for this. I didn't think I could do it. I was exhausted... but my little Rachel came out at 3:21am 2 hours after arriving to the hospital as perfect as could be (minus a little bruised forehead and nose, I'm sure she was in pain as well...). She defiantly made an entrance. I've experienced birth both with and without an epidural, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as my babies are safe and healthy that's all that matters to me! I don't feel like there is any "wrong" or "right" way to have a baby. Just do what feels right for you and your baby... that's my two cents for whatever it's worth!

3 comments:
Aw, how I love birth stories. I keep fluctuating with the idea of doing it naturally (no, I'm not pregnant right now). But man, I had SUCH a hard time with Rob & I was in the hospital FOREVER & pushing for a really long time with both too. So, I don't know. If I can NOT freak out and stay home to labor longer then I might be able to pull it off. More power to ya sister! I want to meet this little cutie too!
Congrats, your family is so adorable! sounds a lot like the birth story of my 3, it pretty much happened exactly the same way except I did get the epidural because nobody checked me first and had I known I was ready to push I wouldn't have gotten it but she was upside down too and I couldn't believe how hard it was to push her out. I really did wonder if it was just me being a wimp because I was really good to work out with my first two but with my 3rd I didn't do it much. When I had my 4th and hadn't worked out and she pretty much fell out with no pushing at all I was convinced at least it wasn't because I was a wimp the 3rd time. I hope you family is doing well!
Oh my stars! You are a TROOPER!! We need to get together very soon.
Post a Comment